The library is non-profit and all our workers are volunteers. The money we receive from research fees go towards keeping our library and society functioning. The library is housed in the former residence of Georgiana Peet Miller, who donated her house to the society upon her death. The library started in her basement and has since moved into the main house. The downstairs houses our office and library dedicated to Gratiot County. A few years ago, Mr. Arlynn Gantz donated over 600 genealogy books from all over the country. This collection is now in two upstairs rooms.
GCHGS Officers for 2012
President – Jack Humm
Vice President – Kathy Humm
Recording Secretary – Judy Root
Treasurer – Mary Humm
Director – Martha Meginley
Director – Maureen Murphy
Director – Carol Douglas
Director – Janice Nicewander
Genealogy Representative – Carol Douglas
GCHGS Board Chairman – Maureen Murphy
Genealogy Library Volunteers
Top L to R: Helen Guernsey, Velma McClintic, Wanda O’Boyle, Carol Merchant, Janice Nicewander, Gloria Shepard, Joan Mulder
Bottom L to R: Lorna Sebring, Judy Root, Carol Douglas
Linda Weburg and Lisa Yoder, Museum Curators
Juliette Johnson, Webmaster
Georgiana Koskette (Peet) Miller
(20 Nov 1905 – 21 Oct 2000)
Georgiana Peet Miller was one of the founders of the Gratiot County Historical Society. She talked the group into becoming a genealogical as well as historical society and started a genealogy library in her basement. Later she designated the society as benefactors of her estate. Her gracious home is now a center for GCHGS meetings and activities. The Genealogy Library occupies part of the main floor, with a Michigan Room and Out of State/Out of Country Room on the second floor. The Peet Trust also provided income to maintain the property.
To view a full biography of Georgiana Peet Miller, please follow this link.